1 Day Training followed by a City & Guilds NPTC Assessment to gain recognition of your skills.
The course is divided into two compulsory outcomes.
- The Principles of Basic Stockmanship and Welfare - assessed by computer based multiple choice questioning via online assessment.
- Carry Out Basic Stockmanship and Welfare Activities assessed via one-to-one oral questioning and observation of practical performance with an approved independent assessor.
- Housing Requirements - the stockperson when carrying out routine practical livestock duties on a day to day basis taking in to account safety of themselves, other people and the environment
- Environmental factors and Emergencies - Demonstrate knowledge of the procedures to be followed in the event of each of the following emergencies
- Five Welfare Needs - identify those key aspects of legislation which apply to themselves, other people, the environment and the wellbeing of livestock
- Dealing with abortion – Demonstrate knowledge of signs, principal causes, risk to persons and infected animals
- Health Care and Welfare - the stockperson when carrying out routine practical livestock duties, ensuring the well being of livestock under their control
- Biosecurity & Vermin Control
- Carry out basic stockmanship an welfare activities
- Wellington or water-repellent boots with a good grip (preferably with steel toe cap protection) EN20345
- Non-snag outer clothing - ideally clean overralls
- Waterproof leggings/ trousers (PVC or nitrile)
- Suitable animal species for handling with adequate restraints (crush, pen, halter, muzzle, extra person to help hold etc.)
- Portable fencing unit and posts
There are no formal entry requirements but candidates should ideally possess prior experience of working with a range of livestock & candidates over 16 years of age
All of our courses can be accredited by either NPTC or LANTRA, depending on the level of accreditation you require
PROGRESSION COURSE SUGGESTIONS:
Transport of Animals by Road (Short Journeys)
Transport of Animals by Road (Long Journeys)
Safe Use of Veterinary Medicines Safe Use of All Terrain Vehicle - Sit Astride
Safe Use of All Terrain Vehicle – Sit In
Tractor Driving & Related Operations
Emergency First Aid at Work (+ Forestry)